NorVApics Home
Vintage Images
Access Image Gallery
Vintage Amusements
Vintage Maps
Scans of Ticket Stubs from Concerts in Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks for Sale from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks pictures from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remey Mausoleum/Crypts/Tomb/Mausoleum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Remey Mausoleum/Crypts/Tomb/Mausoleum Reply with quote

Just posted 5 wonderful shots of the crypts from the 1970s. Here's a bit of a thread from the archives:

Quote:
The crypts were just a little south of Pohick Church on the same side.The 68-72 years were a blur but if you drive down the little road
almost across from where Pohick Road Ends at Route
1 you will find one crypt still there in the woods
and one that is only the foundation.The place was
where you could pop a beer,a girl and a body
sometimes they all were COLD ones.

Last edited by dt on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Remey Mausoleum/Crypts/Tomb/Mausoleum Reply with quote

Here's the e-mail from the contributor.

Quote:
Attached you should find several jpeg images (300dpi, 4x6 inches)
from the inside of the Remey mausoleum. The photos were taken with an
old 110 instamatic in the late 1970s. I have blocked out some faces
to protect the innocent (or not so innocent). The mausoleum was
actually very beautiful, with dozens of statues and carvings
everywhere. In the back were two large stone coffins. We would go
inside every so often but we were usually dismayed by the vandalism
and occasional weird people we would bump into down there. Once, the
police came and we were forced to hide in there for hours with our
lights off until they left. Still, it was a very fun and creepy place
to bring friends and watch them experience the terror.

Last edited by dt on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeW

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: crypts Reply with quote

Those quotes really take me back to the nites we ventured down there all the way from Falls Church. 'twas very creepy.

When I get together w/ my H.S. buddies it seems like that place always comes up.
Back-N-Tyme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man does that bring back some memorys!

I started going there right before Halloween night in 1975.

That place was so crowded on Halloween night in 76 I think that we left!

A great place to have a Seance, drink a beer, or scare your girl! :lol
jhawkins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Remey Mausoleum/Crypts Reply with quote

[quote="dt"]Just posted 5 wonderful shots of the crypts from the 1970s. Here's a bit of a thread from the archives:

[quote]The crypts were just a little south of Pohick Church on the same side.The 68-72 years were a blur but if you drive down the little road
almost across from where Pohick Road Ends at Route
1 you will find one crypt still there in the woods
and one that is only the foundation.The place was
where you could pop a beer,a girl and a body
sometimes they all were COLD ones.[/quote][/quote]

[quote]hey just wondering if you could give me any more info on where exactly they are and if anyones been down there recently
Back-N-Tyme

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read they were bull-dozed over years ago. Sad
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the crypts:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/branches/vr/cem/cem100.htm

For a short biography of Charles Mason Remey:

http://rsmd.net/tchase/articles/REMEYCM.htm
perfconnpc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: The Remeum Reply with quote

The Remeum was bulldozed back in 1973. I first learned about it back in the early nineties when a girlfriend of mine told me she had friends that used to go there. Of course the stories made it much more mysterious than it really was. She told me (things she had heard) that it was built back in the 1400's (actually 1939), that it had multiple underground levels, and was partially caving in because a bike gang attempted to blow it up. Now it would seem that none of that was true. I was fascinated but could never find anything else about it. Over 20 years later and I finally stumble upon information about the Remey Mausoleum.

Back in 1995 I worked for a company and was doing renovation work at the Lower Potomac Pollution Plant on Route 1. At some point I brought up the mausoleum to my co-worker who knew a little about it. He told me his brother used to frequent the place but didn't have any more info. He talked to his brother who said it might have been buried by the county and remembered a newspaper article to that effect. He also found out that the mausoleum was directly between the Pollution Plant and Pohick church on Route 1.

One day we finished a little early and decided to trek through the woods and see what we could find. After an hour or so we came upon a large raised area of earth, it was about 4 feet tall, and overgrown with weeds and grass. There were several brick stacks which had something similar to chimney caps on them, I assumed some sort of ventilation stacks? We also discovered a couple of small memorials and a rather large obelisk (about 30 feet tall) dedicated to Charles Remey's father (Rear Admiral Charles Collier Remey). I was still curious and vowed to return one day with a shovel and search for an entrance but never did. Now finding out that it was bulldozed I'm glad I never went back, I don't think I would ever have found an entrance.

There's really nothing there but the obelisk. I read that the site originally was 5 acres in size, you'd never know that now, it was overgrown with trees, weeds, and grass. No evidence that it was once a beautiful site. Remey spent about $1 million to build it back in 1939. I'm sure it was an amazing site. I didn't have a camera back then so I don't have any photos of what we discovered, wish I did.

My biggest memory was coming home with about a dozen ticks stuck to me. That was a fun hour or two picking them off! If you want to know more just search for 'Remeum' on Google and you'll get quite a few articles.

Joel
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Remey Mausoleum/Crypts/Tomb/Mausoleum Reply with quote

Posted a few Polaroids of the Mausoleum in 1978. They're in the Lorton section.

Last edited by dt on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Remey Mausoleum/Crypts/Tomb/Mausoleum Reply with quote

A couple b&w photos going up this evening.
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four more tomb pictures from 1981 posted this afternoon. Enjoy!
josephkenney

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Remey crypts/mausoleum Reply with quote

When we were kids we used to go to the crypts..probably a few years after these pics were taken (thank you by the way,awsome pics!!)By the time I saw it for the first time they had stacked big boulders in front of the doorways...you could still get in but you had to lay on your back and scoot in(very scary when you are a kid)...They were buried around 1982/83 ..I remember dump trucks going in and out with load after load of dirt for about a week...You could tell it was a beautiful place at some point...my uncle said him and his friends used to hang out there in the early 70's,and that the Peagens hung out there all the time...We happened to go back there a week before they buried it and there were some college students (I think from William and Mary)there chistling out the big stone carving that was at the side archway entrance (there is a pic of it..12th image link down)if you look closely it says "Landing of Huouenots in Virginia 1654" at the bottom...they said they had found out it was to be buried in less than a week(thats how we found out)and they only had a couple of days to salvage whatever they could...so I know that this carving/casting was saved...but they were very upset that they would not have the time to save other things..There were some awsome things down there..most had been destroyed by vandals but there were a lot of wall carvings like this one inside that were completly intact..I always grew up wondering what this place was..I had heard all of the rumors,but could never find anything about it.It is what sparked my interest in local history,and remains one of the most fasinating places I have ever seen.[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorVApics.com Forum Index -> Places All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: