NorVApics Home
Vintage Images
Access Image Gallery
Vintage Amusements
Vintage Maps
Scans of Ticket Stubs from Concerts in Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks for Sale from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks pictures from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Local Television
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorVApics.com Forum Index -> General Memories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seeburg220

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Local Television Reply with quote

Thought I'd make this a broad post of local tv.

Remember WDCA channel 20's Captain 20? He also played the part of Count DeVol during Creature Feature...

How about the always-annoying "People's" (drug store) tv commercial? "Two for one. Two for one. Two sets of prints for one low price!" (photo) Ahhhh!!! It's like a broken record in my head! lol

How about Dave Campo for Templeton Oldsmobile? "How 'bout this one RIGHT HEEEEEERREEE !? NINETEEN SEVENTY NINE CHEVY CHEVETTE! AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, AIR CONDITIONING. FOUR THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS! PICK UP THE PHONE, GIVE US A CALL 686-9000"

Here's a video of Dave with another car dealer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M48HTxtjFdk
mainstreetmarshall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that Olds dealer commercial...with the old guy in a dark suit smoking a cigarette, "nobody but noooooobody beats Brown Oldsmobile"?? At least I think it was Browns Olds.
Diane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Captain 20? Heck, I was even a member of his club. I have the card to prove it, too.

Laughing

My favorite DC commercials were Joon Rhee ("Call USA 1000...Nobody Bothers Me...Nobody Bothers Me, Either Wink ), EZ Method Driving School ("it's eeee-zee....EZ Method!"), Dash's, Morton's ("at all six Morton's...now thru Saturday"), Sea Galley ("We've got crab legs..Sea Galley") and Chesapeake Bay Seafood House ("Get all the seafood...you can eat!").
seeburg220

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane wrote:
Remember Captain 20? Heck, I was even a member of his club. I have the card to prove it, too.

Laughing

My favorite DC commercials were Joon Rhee ("Call USA 1000...Nobody Bothers Me...Nobody Bothers Me, Either Wink ), EZ Method Driving School ("it's eeee-zee....EZ Method!"), Dash's, Morton's ("at all six Morton's...now thru Saturday"), Sea Galley ("We've got crab legs..Sea Galley") and Chesapeake Bay Seafood House ("Get all the seafood...you can eat!").

Those are some good ones! I was a bus boy at Chesapeke Bay seafood house in Fairfax city in 10th grade. Talk about a messy job!

Here's the joon rhee commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7PEMGuA6tw

and Morton's was my favorite: "3 pairs Mens' slacks...EIGHT DOLLARS !!!" "Ladies blouse....TWO DOLLARS!!!"

Oh, I just found one of the more annoying commercials - Peoples Drug...Enjoy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIFO4d_TAD8
seeburg220

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Red Barn hamburgers ? Here's the commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Golt3nnCY
Diane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Local Television Reply with quote

Seeburg - many thanks for the People's "Two for One" commercial. I didn't think that I knew of any People's commercials as I clicked on the link - and then I found myself remembering the jingle, word for word. Now it is stuck in my head. What a cool, dated-looking logo People's had, even into the 80's.

Remember the "Four O'Clock Movie" on Channel 7? I used to race home from school to catch a campy 60's or 70's B-movie like "Trilogy of Terror."
If I remember correctly, the "Four O'Clock Movie" was replaced by "Hour Magazine" with Gary Collins and then, by Oprah.

How about when Maury Povich hosting "Panorama" on (cheesy) Channel 5/WTTG sometime in the 70's ?

I also recall the rather sad career arc of Captain 20. He abandoned the space/vaguely Star Trek-esque outfit and then donned civilian clothes and an old brown derby hat and hosted a cheap knock-off of Bob McAllister's Wonderama in the afternoons. He seemed to lose his enthusiasm, as if he knew his genre of locally-produced and aired kiddie shows were passe.

Blah, blah..I could go on and on. Sometimes, I think that I'm the only person who remembers all of this nostalgic, local stuff!
ChefJim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow did those commercials bring back a flood of memories, especially the Peoples Drug one. My very first job was behind the soda fountain at Peoples Drug Store # 93 in Annandale, Va. off of Columbia Pike back in 1966.
mainstreetmarshall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id kill for a Gino's Giant!
tbva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd kill for a Hot Shoppes teen twist.
John H

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love a Sir Loiner from Tops!
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrimp boat for me. Prefer to eat it in the backseat of an early '60s Impala. Will sleep it off in the back window on the drive home.
Back-N-Tyme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count Gore De Vol is still going strong, only on the internet.

www.countgore.com
Polkat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone must remember the Pick Temple Show. I was on it three times! Even got to ride Pick's horse once when he kept it at a small stable off Sutland Parkway near the AFB entrance.
NORVANative

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Captain Kangaroo, and......Ranger Hal Reply with quote

Polkat wrote:
Everyone must remember the Pick Temple Show. I was on it three times! Even got to ride Pick's horse once when he kept it at a small stable off Sutland Parkway near the AFB entrance.

My older brother was on Pick Temple, but I was too young for that stuff. You might search for info on this site about Virginia City, an attraction on Route 29 in Fairfax that was co-owned by Pick Temple.

Who could possibly forget Captain Kangaroo with Bob Keeshan? He was my bud in afternoons. For a little journey down memory lane, check out his memorable opening theme song and door sequence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3w7w58CREY

I also watched some Ranger Hal episodes on YouTube with my four-year-old daughter. I loved Ranger Hal, just a nice man with a nice skit.

A.
NORVANative

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Also, who can forget... Reply with quote

Cap'n Tugg, and Flash Flood? Another great batch of local programming for the kids. I'll never forget the sound of that tug boat engine. They must have had that running on a tape loop... Check here and see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIVCIjmLzgU

And for a Ranger Hal episode, check here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nay4Gye4r9A

My hat off to whomever posted these. Many fond memories of these shows.

A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorVApics.com Forum Index -> General Memories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: