NorVApics Home
Vintage Images
Access Image Gallery
Vintage Amusements
Vintage Maps
Scans of Ticket Stubs from Concerts in Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks for Sale from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks pictures from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annandale Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorVApics.com Forum Index -> General Memories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pttibg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Annandale Day Reply with quote

I recall holding the hand of my grandfather on the sidewalk in front of the Safeway store next to Annandale Elementary School on a hot & dusty early September day waiting for the parade to pass by. My best friend's big sister, Kitty Flattery (now Reedy) in her beautiful yellow gown was 3rd runner up, altho we tho't she was by far the prettiest girl in the pageant. Kitty really did look like the Disney Snow White. Karen Rowe must've been the prettiest to the judges because she won first.
ChefJim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some pictures I will put on here of the Annandale Days Parade from September 1962 as soon as I can scan them to my computer, be looking for them soon !
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim has submitted the wonderful pictures from his collection. I'll be posting the Annandale Days Parade on Little River Turnpike here:

http://www.norvapics.com/images_annandale.htm

You can see James L. Michelbach Furniture Company, Sinclair, Burger Chef, Tomohawk Tires, Aero TV & Don's Barber Shop in the photos. Will be posting some closeups of these businesses this week.
NORVANative

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Annandale Day Reply with quote

pttibg wrote:
I recall holding the hand of my grandfather on the sidewalk in front of the Safeway store next to Annandale Elementary School on a hot & dusty early September day waiting for the parade to pass by. My best friend's big sister, Kitty Flattery (now Reedy) in her beautiful yellow gown was 3rd runner up, altho we tho't she was by far the prettiest girl in the pageant. Kitty really did look like the Disney Snow White. Karen Rowe must've been the prettiest to the judges because she won first.

We might have been standing next to you, because I remember standing around the same general area during that parade. And it seems you forgot to mention who the star of the parade was for that event. None other than the real Col. Sanders of chicken fame. As the Col. drove by sitting on the back of a convertible, I yelled out, "Col. Sanders I love your fried chicken", at which point he said to one of his assistants, "Give that boy some chicken". And so one of the helpers who was giving out free chicken to the crowd ran over and dropped a piece of fried chicken in my hand. What is funny about that incident is that I didn't much like the piece they gave me and ended up tossing it down the sewer. Ah, the memories.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorVApics.com Forum Index -> General Memories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: