NorVApics Home
Vintage Images
Access Image Gallery
Vintage Amusements
Vintage Maps
Scans of Ticket Stubs from Concerts in Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks for Sale from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks pictures from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7 Corners~Escalator Rides~Cherry Cokes~& Music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorVApics.com Forum Index -> General Memories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pttibg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: 7 Corners~Escalator Rides~Cherry Cokes~& Music Reply with quote

My friend, Skip, & I used to take the bus from Masonville on Annandale Rd over to 7 Corners. We would have enough $ for bus fare over & back & ONE cherry coke to split with 2 straws. All day long we would ride the escalators & walk around until we had to catch the bus home. The big treat was the record store...was it Topps Records? I'm not sure, but just reading record labels was a big thrill. Our aunt had a TV but we still only had a radio so our window to the outside world most of the time was only the music that came over the airwaves. In 1956, which was the summer we rode to that shopping center, Elvis had just broken thru & it was an exciting music time for young teens & tweens, as we were called then.
MikeW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our earliest road trips was catching a bus on Annandale Rd & riding to 7 Corners. Its kinda fuzzy but I remember they had a Woolworths & a Peoples right next door to each other. This was late 60' early 70's. Was Brendanmours the sporting goods store? Seems like there was a Hot Shoppes somewhere nearby.

Now and again we would risk our lives & cross Rte 50 over to Montgomery Wards. I worked there years later, employee parking on the roof.

Remember the Inn of the Eight Immortals?
John H

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Seven Corners shopping center Reply with quote

One of our earliest road trips was catching a bus on Annandale Rd & riding to 7 Corners. Its kinda fuzzy but I remember they had a Woolworths & a Peoples right next door to each other. This was late 60' early 70's. Was Brendanmours the sporting goods store? Seems like there was a Hot Shoppes somewhere nearby.

Now and again we would risk our lives & cross Rte 50 over to Montgomery Wards. I worked there years later, employee parking on the roof.

Remember the Inn of the Eight Immortals?
The Hot Shoppes was where the McDonalds is now. I can't think of the cross street but it is on Route 50. ( The cross street may be Pactrick Henry Drive). The Inn of the Eight Immortals was originally a Western Auto. Loved to go up there when I was a kid in the late 50's. Both the Peoples and the Woolworths had a snack bar/ soda fountain. Ah the good old days. Does anyone remember the Kreesges across rte. 50 in the Willston center?
tbva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: 7 corners Reply with quote

How about the S&W cafeteria? My favorite was a double order of mac and cheese and a double of white rice and mix it all together. I lived (and still live) in FC about 6 blocks down from 7 Corners into the city. I remember when 7 Corners was a very upscale shopping center. My Mom didn't drive until she was 50, my Dad was soooooooo glad she only had to drive 6 blocks to shop!
MikeW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing pool a few times at the Jack & Jill Cue Club over in Wilston Shopping Ctr.

I forgot about the S&W. We ate way too many meals there. Salsbury steak & jello squares come to mind. My mom didn't cook much. She was one of the few working moms & I was a "latchkey kid". Ironically our front door didn't shut right & we left the house unlocked for probably 8-10 years - imagine.

Remember how the 7 Corners sign reflected the weather?
I think it went...
Green 7=clear
White 7=snow
Red 7=rain
Crystal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-Corners was my stopping grounds from 68 to 78.

My parents cashed their paycheck every Friday night at the little walking branch of Fairfax County Bank (?) and I would collect my allowance and head over to Woolworth. Very Happy

I bought all my clothes at Lerners.

During HS I worked at Woodies.

I remember downstairs was the S&W cafeteria, the bakery, tabaco shop, a book store, jewelry store, upscale men's store, Florsheim shoe store, Lerners.

Upstairs was the record store, the Varsity Shop and I can't think of any other store I visited upstairs.

Woodies (I worked downstairs in the candy/cards/books/luggage department from 78-80) and Garfinkles were the anchor stores. Woodies had a furniture store across from the Inn of the Eight Immortals.

Last edited by Crystal on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Telescope

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 corners Reply with quote

That S&W Cafeteria was put out of business because it became a hangout for retired people. Management at 7-Corners frowned upon that because they felt the presence of elderly people gave 7-Corners a bad image. Of course, these days such actions would be considered discriminatory, but in those days, such discrimination was routine.
stockett

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Seven Corners Reply with quote

Gosh what a very long time ago. Great memories though. My mother worked at Food Lane which was the first grocery store in the Seven Corners shopping center. It became a furniture store for Woodward & Lothrop some years later. Believe Woodward & Lothrop and Garfinkels were the two end stores with smaller stores in between. Remember Wilson's Men Shop - they carried Ocean Pacific - the surfers shirts that were all the rage. Oh the escalators - what fun.
Route 50 also known as Arlington Boulevard and then there was Patrick Henry Drive that ran between the Wilson Apartments. Patrick Henry Drive ran into Wilson Boulevard and at the corner of the two was a huge old house that belonged to Jayne Meadows and Steve Allen. Now that was quite a few years ago. I believe some years later across from there house a high rise apt., went up - Cavalier Club think that was the name.

stockett
whitelion43

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Grandmother use to work in the Silver dept at Garfinkles, I only visited her twice(I was only about 6 or 7 then) but that place still has fond memories for me too
Polkat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I barely remember that just west of that shopping center, at the circle itself above 50, was an old food store (next to a car dealership?) that, in the back, had an old rubber cow that mechanically chewed it's cud (some kind of a milk advertizement). Over the years it wore out until finally, the mechanical skeleton underneith the rubber showed through. The management never did anything about it until it finally quit working. Then one day it was finally gone.

Odd the childish things we remember. Anyone know what store that was?
John H

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you thinking of Seven Corners Market? It was next to Wissenger Chevrolet.
tbva

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: 7 corners market Reply with quote

...was right next to the stone motel. It was one of the only places open late evenings to get a few basics like milk, bread, eggs.
Polkat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! That was the name. I imagine it's long gone now....right?
wchapman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Cherry Coke and Comic Books Reply with quote

I recall sitting at a counter in drug store in Jefferson Manor, next to Mt. Eagle (same shopping center as Jerry's (barber). We would order the cokes and leave them there, taking an occasional sip and going over to the comic book racks to peruse. Also recall that Jerry's had a beauty parlor in same store, down the hall - kind of off limits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorVApics.com Forum Index -> General Memories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: