NorVApics Home
Vintage Images
Access Image Gallery
Vintage Amusements
Vintage Maps
Scans of Ticket Stubs from Concerts in Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks for Sale from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks pictures from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shirley Highway

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorVApics.com Forum Index -> General Memories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NORVANative

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Shirley Highway Reply with quote

Do any of you remember what I-395 (The Shirley Highway) was like before they widened it? I remember when it was two lanes, and the overpasses had stone bridges like the current GW Parkway. That was back in the day when we lived in Shirlington, and the closes shopping "mall" was 7-Corners.
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of what I remember about Shirley (from the 60's) was the perpetual construction going on. Miles and miles of those white painted wooden road barriers lining it between Shirlington and the Pentagon.
Polkat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the big circle on 96 that led to the Shirlington shopping center. I always thought that was cool. The big drug store on the south side wasn't built then when I was a kid, and there was a junk yard across from where the Chevy dealer (at that time) was. My uncle worked as a mechanic in the Gulf station there. Across the highway on the Fairlington side up the hill a little bit was an old civil war dirt bunker. We used to play 'civil war' there. I haven't lived in VA in many years, and I'm sure that's all gone now.
mcl1531

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me there was a restaurant in the median right before you crossed the 14th St. bridge. Does anyone remember this place?
The original version of The Day the Earth Stood Still has a couple of scenes in it showing the army approaching D.C. on what was supposedly Shirley Highway. Worth checking it out.
Along those lines, does anyone remember the convoys of artillery vehicles from Ft. Belvoir that used the highway? They were quite common during the mid to late 50's.
SandyP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Shirley Highway Reply with quote

It's the Mariott Hotel that sits just before 14th Street Bridge. We had our wedding reception there 45 years ago.
mcl1531

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the Marriott hotel.
That was the twin Bridges Marriott and was off boundary channel dr.

The restaurant i'm speaking of was right in the median strip between the north and south lanes on the Va. side of the bridge.
wchapman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone remember I 495 being called the "circumferential highway" in its early days? I don't believe I ever saw it called that in writing but remember my father using that phrase- then, of course, it was on to the "beltway."
ChefJim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i do remember that name. They"Beltway" name came later, I always remembered it as the "Circumferential Highway, I grew up in Annandale,Va and remember it being built.
Polkat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirlington was a sort of earely mall when I lived there in the later 50's. The area had a few groups of stores, like Fairlington, in those days, but Shirlington was easily the biggest. This was before the mall at 7 Corners, or others, and was thought of at the time as a unique complex.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorVApics.com Forum Index -> General Memories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: